Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A fence or wattle placed in a stream to catch or retain fish.
2. A dam placed across a river or canal to raise or divert the water, as for a millrace, or to regulate or measure the flow.
1. (Civil Engineering) a low dam that is built across a river to raise the water level, divert the water, or control its flow
2. (Angling) a series of traps or enclosures placed in a stream to catch fish
[Old English wer; related to Old Norse ver, Old Frisian were, German Wehr]
1. (Biography) David (Russell). born 1979, English wheelchair athlete; won ten medals for Britain, including six golds, over three Olympic Games (2004–2012); won the London Marathon six times
2. (Biography) Judith. born 1954, Scottish composer: her operas include A Night at the Chinese Opera (1987), and Armida (2005)
3. (Biography) Peter. born 1944, Australian film director; his films include Dead Poets Society (1989), The Truman Show (1998), and Master and Commander (2003)
1. a small dam in a river or stream.
2. a fence, as of brush, or a net set in a stream, channel, etc., for catching fish.
[before 900; Middle English were, Old English wer, derivative of root of werian to defend, dam up]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||weir - a low dam built across a stream to raise its level or divert its flow|
dam - a barrier constructed to contain the flow of water or to keep out the sea
|2.||weir - a fence or wattle built across a stream to catch or retain fish|
سَد صَغير، قَنْطَرَة إحْتِجاز
weir[ˈwɪər] n → barrage m
(= barrier) → Wehr nt
(= fish trap) → Fischreuse f
weir[wɪəʳ] n → sbarramento
a dam across a river, with a drop on one side. keerwal, keerdam سَد صَغير، قَنْطَرَة إحْتِجاز преливник barragem / represa jez das Wehr dæmning φράγμα ποταμού presa (pais)tamm سد pato barrageסכר बंधारा brana bukógát bendungan stíflugarður chiusa, diga せき 보, 둑 užtvanka dambis; aizsprosts empangan, bendungan damdemning, damjaz, tama açude baraj плотина hať, hrádza jez brana damm, fördämning เขื่อนเล็ก ๆ dalyan, bent 河堰 гребля; загата دریا پر لگایا گیا بند đập nước 堰