Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. weld·ed, weld·ing, welds
1. To join (metals) by applying heat, sometimes with pressure and sometimes with an intermediate or filler metal having a high melting point.
2. To bring into close association or union.
To be capable of being welded.
1. The union of two metal parts by welding.
2. The joint formed by welding.
[Alteration (probably influenced by welled, past participle of well) of well, to weld (obsolete and dialectal).]
weld 2(wĕld) also wold (wōld)
1. See dyer's rocket.
2. The yellow dye obtained from dyer's rocket.
[Middle English welde.]
a. the activity of uniting metal or plastic by softening with heat and hammering, or by fusion
b. (as modifier): welding equipment.
2. (Metallurgy) (as modifier): welding equipment.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||welding - fastening two pieces of metal together by softening with heat and applying pressure|
n → Schweißen nt