Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A strip, as of leather or other material, stitched into a shoe between the sole and the upper.
2. A tape or covered cord sewn into a seam as reinforcement or trimming.
a. A ridge or bump on the skin caused by a lash or blow or sometimes by an allergic reaction.
b. A lash or blow producing such a mark.
tr.v. welt·ed, welt·ing, welts
1. To reinforce or trim with a welt.
2. To beat severely; flog.
3. To raise welts or a welt on.
[Middle English welte.]
1. (Knitting & Sewing) a raised or strengthened seam or edge, sewn in or on a knitted garment
2. (Pathology) another word for weal1
3. (Clothing & Fashion) (in shoemaking) a strip of leather, etc, put in between the outer sole and the inner sole and upper
4. (Knitting & Sewing) to put a welt in (a garment, etc)
5. to beat or flog soundly
[C15: origin unknown]
1. a ridge or wale on the surface of the body, as from a blow of a stick or whip.
2. a blow producing such a ridge or wale.
a. a strip, as of leather, to which the edges of the insole and upper of a shoe are attached, the whole then being joined to the outsole.
b. a strip, usu. of leather, that ornaments a shoe.
4. a strip of material sewn along the edge of a garment, etc., for strength or as decoration.v.t.
5. to beat soundly, as with a stick or whip.
6. to furnish or supply (a shoe or garment) with welts.
[1375–1425; welte, walt shoemaker's welt, Old English wælt (thigh) sinew]
Past participle: welted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||welt - a raised mark on the skin (as produced by the blow of a whip); characteristic of many allergic reactions|
|2.||welt - a raised or strengthened seam|
seam - joint consisting of a line formed by joining two pieces
|Verb||1.||welt - beat severely with a whip or rod; "The teacher often flogged the students"; "The children were severely trounced"|
beat up, work over, beat - give a beating to; subject to a beating, either as a punishment or as an act of aggression; "Thugs beat him up when he walked down the street late at night"; "The teacher used to beat the students"
leather - whip with a leather strap
horsewhip - whip with a whip intended for horses
switch - flog with or as if with a flexible rod
cowhide - flog with a cowhide
cat - beat with a cat-o'-nine-tails
birch - whip with a birch twig
|2.||welt - put a welt on; "welt the shoes"|
add - make an addition (to); join or combine or unite with others; increase the quality, quantity, size or scope of; "We added two students to that dorm room"; "She added a personal note to her letter"; "Add insult to injury"; "Add some extra plates to the dinner table"
welt[ˈwɛlt] n (= weal) → marque f
welt[wɛlt] n (bruise) → livido
a band or strip fastened to an edge of an article of clothing for strength or for ornament. naat, strook حاشِيَه кант vinco lem die Borte kantebånd λωρίδα που δένεται στην άκρη αντικειμένου για υποστήριξη ή στολισμό vira kant(pael) حاشيه چرمي دور چيزي koristenauha bordureרצועה किनारा kožni obrub szegély kain untuk hiasan tepian baju brydding, ræma cordone, orlo へり飾り (구두의) 대다리, (옷 등의) 가두리 천 apsiuvas, kraštas apmale; nošuve jalur kulit pada kasut boordselkantebånd, snorkanting lamówka debrum tighel рант lem obrobek obrub rand, söm, bård ตะเข็บของเสื้อผ้า kenar şeridi 衣服的貼邊或飾邊 рант на взутті پٹی đường viền 贴边
n. verdugón, roncha.