Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to whammy: Press Your Luck
n. pl. wham·mies Slang
1. A supernatural spell for subduing an adversary; a hex: put the whammy on someone.
2. A serious or devastating setback: "The triple whammy: government cuts, declining corporate giving, and less favorable tax laws" (New York Times).
[Perhaps from wham.]
n, pl -mies
1. something which has great, often negative, impact: the double whammy of high interest rates and low wage increases.
2. (Alternative Belief Systems) an evil spell or curse: she was convinced he had put the whammy on her.
[C20: wham + -y2]
wham•my(ˈʰwæm i, ˈwæm i)
n., pl. -mies. Slang.
1. the evil eye; hex.
2. a devastating blow, setback, or catastrophe.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whammy - a serious or devastating setback|
|2.||whammy - an evil spell; "a witch put a curse on his whole family"; "he put the whammy on me"|