Also found in: Wikipedia.
1. Any of several Asian bamboos of the genus Phyllostachys.
2. A walking stick made from the woody stem of any of these bamboos.
[Ultimately from Mandarin huáng lí (or a kindred Chinese dialectal word ) : huáng, yellow (from Middle Chinese xɦuaŋ) + lí, lamb's quarters (from Middle Chinese liaj).]
1. (Plants) any tall woody grass of the S and SE Asian genus Phyllostachys, grown for its stems, which are used for bamboo canes and as a source of paper pulp
2. (Forestry) a cane or walking stick made from the stem of any of these plants
[C19: probably from Chinese (Mandarin) huangli, from huang yellow + li bamboo cane]
1. a bamboo of the genus Phyllostachys, of China.
2. a walking stick or cane made from the stem of this plant.
[1780–90; < Chinese huáng hard bamboo + -ee]