Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to wharfing: wharfing out
n. pl. wharves (wôrvz, hwôrvz) or wharfs
1. A pier where ships or boats are tied up and loaded or unloaded.
2. Obsolete A shore or riverbank.
v. wharfed, wharf·ing, wharfs
1. To moor (a vessel) at a wharf.
2. To take to or store (cargo) on a wharf.
3. To furnish, equip, or protect with wharves or a wharf.
To berth at a wharf.
[Middle English, from Old English hwearf.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.