wheel lock(redirected from wheel locks)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. A firing mechanism in certain obsolete small arms, in which a small wheel produces sparks by revolving against a flint.
2. A firearm using such a mechanism.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a gunlock formerly in use in which the firing mechanism was activated by sparks produced by friction between a small steel wheel and a flint
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a gun having such a lock
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an old type of gunlock in which sparks are produced by the friction of a small steel wheel against a piece of iron pyrites.
2. a gun having such a gunlock.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.