whiny(redirected from whinily)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
v. whined, whin·ing, whines
1. To produce a sustained, high-pitched, plaintive sound, as in pain, fear, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish or annoying fashion: fans who are always whining about the poor officiating.
3. To produce a sustained noise of high pitch: jet engines whining.
To utter with a whine.
1. The act of whining: the dog's whine for food.
2. A whining sound: the whine of the dentist's drill.
3. A complaint uttered in a sustained, high-pitched tone: decided to ignore the children's whines.
[Middle English whinen, from Old English hwīnan, to make a whizzing sound.]
whin′y, whin′ey adj.
adj, whinier or whiniest
1. high-pitched and plaintive
2. peevish; complaining
or whin•ey(ˈʰwaɪ ni, ˈwaɪ-)
adj. whin•i•er, whin•i•est.