Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various spinning toys.
2. A carousel; a merry-go-round.
3. Something that continuously whirls.
4. A whirligig beetle.
[Middle English whirlegigge : whirlen, whirl; see whirl + -gigge, something that rotates (possibly of Scandinavian origin; akin to gig).]
1. (Other Non-sporting Hobbies) any spinning toy, such as a top
2. another name for merry-go-round
3. anything that whirls about, spins, or moves in a circular or giddy way: the whirligig of social life.
4. (Other Non-sporting Hobbies) another name for windmill3
[C15: whirlegigge, from whirl + gig1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
whirl•i•gig(ˈʰwɜr lɪˌgɪg, ˈwɜr-)
1. something that whirls or revolves.
2. a whirling motion or course.
3. a flighty person.
4. a merry-go-round; carousel.
5. a toy for whirling or spinning, as a top.Also called whirl•a•bout (ˈʰwɜrl əˌbaʊt)
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whirligig - a conical child's plaything tapering to a steel point on which it can be made to spin; "he got a bright red top and string for his birthday"|
humming top - a top that makes a humming noise as it spins
peg top - a pear-shaped top made of wood with a metal center pin
|2.||whirligig - a large, rotating machine with seats for children to ride or amusement|
ride - a mechanical device that you ride for amusement or excitement
|Verb||1.||whirligig - whirl or spin like a whirligig|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. (= toy) → molinete m
2. (= merry-go-round) → tiovivo m
3. (also whirligig beetle) → girino m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007