Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to whispered: Whispered pectoriloquy
1. Soft speech produced without using the full voice.
2. Something uttered very softly: overheard his whisper.
3. A secretly or surreptitiously expressed belief, rumor, or hint: whispers of scandal.
4. A low rustling sound: the whisper of wind in the pines.
v. whis·pered, whis·per·ing, whis·pers
1. To speak softly.
2. To speak quietly and privately, as by way of gossip, slander, or intrigue.
3. To make a soft rustling sound.
1. To utter very softly.
2. To say or tell privately or secretly.
[From Middle English whisperen, to whisper, from Old English hwisprian.]