Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Either of two evergreen coniferous trees (Thuja occidentalis or Chamaecyparis thyoides) of eastern North America, having scalelike leaves and light-colored wood.
1. (Plants) a coniferous tree, Chamaecyparis thyoides, of swampy regions in North America, having scalelike leaves and boxlike cones: family Cupressaceae. See also cypress12
2. (Forestry) the wood of this tree, which is used for building boats, etc
3. (Plants) a coniferous tree, Thuja occidentalis, of NE North America, having scalelike leaves: family Cupressaceae. See also arbor vitae
4. (Forestry) the wood of this tree, much used for telegraph poles
1. any of several chiefly coniferous trees valued for their wood, esp. Chamaecyparis thyoides, of the eastern U.S.
3. the wood of any of these trees.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||white cedar - small evergreen of eastern North America having tiny scalelike leaves on flattened branchlets|
arborvitae - any of several Asian and North American conifers of the genera Thuja and Thujopsis
|2.||white cedar - slow-growing medium-sized cedar of east coast of the United States; resembles American arborvitae|
Atlantic white cedar, Chamaecyparis thyoides, coast white cedar, southern white cedar, white cypress