Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. A white bow tie worn as a part of formal evening dress.
2. Formal evening wear, usually requiring a tailcoat for men and an evening gown for women. White tie is considered the most formal category of evening wear.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a white bow tie worn as part of a man's formal evening dress
2. (Clothing & Fashion)
a. formal evening dress for men
b. (as modifier): a white-tie occasion.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a white bow tie, worn with formal evening dress.
2. formal evening dress for men (disting. from black tie).
requiring that male guests wear formal attire.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A white bow tie worn by men as part of formal evening dress.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||white tie - bow tie worn as part of a man's formal evening dress|
|2.||white tie - formalwear consisting of full evening dress for men|
evening clothes, evening dress, eveningwear, formalwear - attire to wear on formal occasions in the evening
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.