whoop it up
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to whoop it up: whooping cough
whoop(ho͞op, wo͞op, hwo͞op)
a. A loud cry of exultation or excitement.
b. A shout uttered by a hunter or warrior.
2. A hooting cry, as of a bird.
3. The paroxysmal gasp characteristic of whooping cough.
v. whooped, whoop·ing, whoops
1. To utter a loud shout or cry. See Synonyms at yell.
2. To utter a hooting cry.
3. To make the paroxysmal gasp characteristic of whooping cough.
1. To utter with a whoop.
2. To chase, call, urge on, or drive with a whoop: whooping the cattle down the road.
whoop it up Slang
1. To have a jolly, noisy celebration.
2. To express or arouse enthusiasm; cheer: conventioneers whooping it up for their candidate.
[From Middle English whopen, to whoop, variant of hopen, from Old French hopper, of imitative origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||whoop it up - celebrate noisily, often indulging in drinking; engage in uproarious festivities; "The members of the wedding party made merry all night"; "Let's whoop it up--the boss is gone!"|
fete, celebrate - have a celebration; "They were feting the patriarch of the family"; "After the exam, the students were celebrating"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.