whorl(redirected from whorling)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
one of the ridges of a fingerprint; a coil or curl: whorls of frost on a window
Not to be confused with:
whirl – rotate or spin rapidly: The blades of the windmill whirl in the breeze.
whorls of leaves
whorl(wôrl, hwôrl, wûrl, hwûrl)
1. A form that coils or spirals; a curl or swirl: spread the icing in peaks and whorls.
2. Botany An arrangement of three or more leaves, petals, or other organs arising from a single node.
3. Zoology A single turn or volution of a spiral shell.
4. One of the circular ridges or convolutions of a fingerprint.
a. A small pulley that regulates the speed of the bobbin of a spinning wheel.
b. A small flywheel that regulates the speed of a hand-operated spindle.
[Middle English whorle, alteration of whirle, whirl, from whirlen, to whirl; see whirl.]
1. (Botany) botany a radial arrangement of three or more petals, stamens, leaves, etc, around a stem
2. (Zoology) zoology a single turn in a spiral shell
3. (Anatomy) one of the basic patterns of the human fingerprint, formed by several complete circular ridges one inside another. Compare arch14b, loop110a
4. anything shaped like a coil
[C15: probably variant of wherville whirl, influenced by Dutch worvel]
whorl(ʰwɜrl, ʰwɔrl, wɜrl, wɔrl)
1. a circular arrangement of like parts, as leaves or flowers, around a point on an axis; verticil.
2. one of the turns or volutions of a spiral shell.
3. anything shaped like a coil.
4. one of the central ridges of a fingerprint that form at least one complete circle.
5. a flywheel or pulley, as for a spindle.
[1425–75; whorle, whorvil, wharwyl, Old English hwyrfel=hweorfa whorl of a spindle]
whorl- A variant of whirl, it first meant "small flywheel."
See also related terms for whirl.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||whorl - a round shape formed by a series of concentric circles (as formed by leaves or flower petals)|
corolla - (botany) the whorl of petals of a flower that collectively form an inner floral envelope or layer of the perianth; "we cultivate the flower for its corolla"
calyx - (botany) the whorl of sepals of a flower collectively forming the outer floral envelope or layer of the perianth enclosing and supporting the developing bud; usually green
round shape - a shape that is curved and without sharp angles
verticil - a whorl of leaves growing around a stem
|2.||whorl - a strand or cluster of hair |
hair - a covering for the body (or parts of it) consisting of a dense growth of threadlike structures (as on the human head); helps to prevent heat loss; "he combed his hair"; "each hair consists of layers of dead keratinized cells"
coif, coiffure, hair style, hairdo, hairstyle - the arrangement of the hair (especially a woman's hair)
sausage curl - a fat sausage-shaped curl
forelock - a lock of hair growing (or falling) over the forehead
crimp - a lock of hair that has been artificially waved or curled
dreadlock - one of many long thin braids of hair radiating from the scalp; popularized by Rastafarians
|3.||whorl - a structure consisting of something wound in a continuous series of loops; "a coil of rope"|
hank - a coil of rope or wool or yarn
whorl[ˈhwɜːrl] n (literary) → volute f
whorl[wɜːl] n (of shell) → voluta
1. disposición de fibras en forma esférica, esp. las fibras cardíacas;
2. tipo de huella digital.