Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
A thump; a thud.
v. whumped, whump·ing, whumps
To make a thumping or thudding sound.
To hit or strike with such a sound.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
informal a dull thud
[C19: of imitative origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a blow or knock with a heavy object, producing a dull sound.
2. the sound made by or as if by such a blow.v.t.
3. to strike or beat with a heavy object, so as to produce a dull sound; pound.
4. (of an object) to strike against (something) heavily and noisily.
5. to thrash severely.v.i.
6. to strike or fall heavily, with a dull sound.
7. to palpitate or beat violently, as the heart.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.