whump(redirected from whumps)
Also found in: Idioms.
A thump; a thud.
v. whumped, whump·ing, whumps
To make a thumping or thudding sound.
To hit or strike with such a sound.
informal a dull thud
[C19: of imitative origin]
1. a blow or knock with a heavy object, producing a dull sound.
2. the sound made by or as if by such a blow.v.t.
3. to strike or beat with a heavy object, so as to produce a dull sound; pound.
4. (of an object) to strike against (something) heavily and noisily.
5. to thrash severely.v.i.
6. to strike or fall heavily, with a dull sound.
7. to palpitate or beat violently, as the heart.