Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A small mechanical device or control; a gadget.
2. An unnamed or hypothetical manufactured article.
a. An element of a GUI, such as a text box or button, that displays information or settings that can be entered or altered by the user.
b. A program that performs some simple function, such as providing a weather report or stock quote, and can be accessed from a computer desktop, webpage, mobile phone or subscription television service.
[Perhaps alteration of gadget.]
1. (Tools) informal any small mechanism or device, the name of which is unknown or temporarily forgotten
2. (Brewing) a small device in a beer can which, when the can is opened, releases nitrogen gas into the beer, giving it a head
3. a small computer program that can be installed on and executed from the desktop of a personal computer
[C20: changed from gadget]
1. a small mechanical device, as a knob or switch, esp. one whose name is not known or cannot be recalled; gadget.
2. something considered typical or representative, as of a manufacturer's products.
[1925–30; perhaps alter. of gadget]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||widget - something unspecified whose name is either forgotten or not known; "she eased the ball-shaped doodad back into its socket"; "there may be some great new gizmo around the corner that you will want to use"|
gismo, gizmo, gubbins, thingamabob, thingamajig, thingmabob, thingmajig, thingumabob, thingumajig, thingummy, whatchamacallit, whatchamacallum, whatsis, doodad, doohickey, doojigger, gimmick
stuff - miscellaneous unspecified objects; "the trunk was full of stuff"
|2.||widget - a device or control that is very useful for a particular job|
device - an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose; "the device is small enough to wear on your wrist"; "a device intended to conserve water"
gadgetry - appliances collectively; "laborsaving gadgetry"
gimbal - an appliance that allows an object (such as a ship's compass) to remain horizontal even as its support tips
injector - a contrivance for injecting (e.g., water into the boiler of a steam engine or particles into an accelerator etc.)
mod con - modern convenience; the appliances and conveniences characteristic of a modern house