Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to wildcatter: wildcatting
1. One who is engaged in speculative mining or well drilling in areas not known to be productive.
2. A promoter of speculative or fraudulent business enterprises.
3. A worker who participates in a wildcat strike.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Mining & Quarrying) informal US and Canadian a prospector for oil or ores in areas having no proved resources
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an oil prospector.
2. a person who promotes risky or unsound business ventures.
3. a person who participates in a wildcat strike.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.