Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to wildcatter: wildcatting
1. One who is engaged in speculative mining or well drilling in areas not known to be productive.
2. A promoter of speculative or fraudulent business enterprises.
3. A worker who participates in a wildcat strike.
(Mining & Quarrying) informal US and Canadian a prospector for oil or ores in areas having no proved resources
1. an oil prospector.
2. a person who promotes risky or unsound business ventures.
3. a person who participates in a wildcat strike.