Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Whether desired or not: After her boss fell sick, she willy-nilly found herself directing the project.
2. Without order or plan; haphazardly: "We laid our sleeping bags out willy-nilly, as if having fallen from the stars" (Rick Bass).
1. Being or occurring whether desired or not: willy-nilly cooperation.
2. Disordered; haphazard: willy-nilly zoning laws.
[Alteration of will ye (or he or I), nill ye (or he or I), be you (or he or I) willing, be you (or he or I) unwilling.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. whether desired or not
3. occurring or taking place whether desired or not
4. occurring haphazardly
[Old English wile hē, nyle hē, literally: will he or will he not; nyle, from ne not + willan to will1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
wil•ly-nil•ly(ˈwɪl iˈnɪl i)
1. whether one wishes to or not; willingly or unwillingly.
2. in a disorganized or unplanned manner; sloppily.adj.
3. shilly-shallying; vacillating.
4. disorganized; unplanned; sloppy.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||willy-nilly - in a random manner; "the houses were randomly scattered"; "bullets were fired into the crowd at random"|
|2.||willy-nilly - without having a choice|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. whether you like it or not, necessarily, of necessity, perforce, whether or no, whether desired or not, nolens volens (Latin) We were dragged willy-nilly into the argument.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (= unsystematically) → de cualquier manera
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= in a disorganized way) → pêle-mêle
(= whether sb wants or not) → bon gré mal gré
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
willy-nilly[ˌwɪlɪˈnɪlɪ] adv → volente o nolente
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995