wimple(redirected from wimpling)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A cloth wound around the head, framing the face, and drawn into folds beneath the chin, worn by women in medieval times and as part of the habit of certain orders of nuns.
a. A fold or pleat in cloth.
b. A ripple, as on the surface of water.
c. A curve or bend.
v. wim·pled, wim·pling, wim·ples
1. To cover with or dress in a wimple.
2. To cause to form folds, pleats, or ripples.
1. Archaic To form or lie in folds.
2. To ripple.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a piece of cloth draped around the head to frame the face, worn by women in the Middle Ages and still a part of the habit of some nuns
2. (Physical Geography) Scot a curve or bend, as in a river
3. rare to ripple or cause to ripple or undulate
4. (Clothing & Fashion) (tr) archaic to cover with or put a wimple on
5. (Clothing & Fashion) archaic (esp of a veil) to lie or cause to lie in folds or pleats
[Old English wimpel; related to Old Saxon wimpal, Middle Dutch wumpel, Middle High German bewimpfen to veil]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -pled, -pling. n.
1. a woman's headcloth drawn in folds about the chin, formerly worn out of doors, esp. in the Middle Ages, and still in use by some nuns.
2. Chiefly Scot.v.t.
a. a fold or wrinkle, as in cloth.
b. a curve or bend, as in a road or river.
3. to cover or muffle with or as if with a wimple.
4. to cause to ripple or undulate, as water.v.i.
5. to ripple.
6. Chiefly Scot. to follow a curving course, as a road or river.
7. Archaic. to lie in folds, as a veil.
[before 1100; Middle English wimple, wimpel, Old English wimpel, c. Middle Dutch, Middle Low German wimpel, Old High German wimpal, Old Norse vimpill]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: wimpled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
wimple[ˈwɪmpl] N → griñon m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
wimple[ˈwɪmpl] n → soggolo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995