Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A usually long, narrow box for growing plants, placed on or hung from a windowsill or ledge.
2. One of the vertical grooves on the inner sides of a window frame for the weights that counterbalance the sash.
1. (Building) a long narrow box, placed on or outside a windowsill, in which plants are grown
2. (Horticulture) a long narrow box, placed on or outside a windowsill, in which plants are grown
3. (Building) either of a pair of vertical boxes, attached to the sides of a sash window frame, that enclose a sash cord and counterbalancing weight
a box for growing plants, placed at or in a window.