Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A block of wood on whose surface a design for printing is engraved across the end grain.
b. A print made from a wood engraving.
2. The art or process of making wood engravings.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the art of engraving pictures or designs on wood for printing by incising them with a burin on a block of wood cut across the grain
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a block of wood so engraved or a print taken from it
wood engraver n
1. the art or process of engraving designs in relief with a burin on wood cut against the grain, for printing.
2. a block of wood so engraved.
3. a print or impression from it.
wood′ engrav`er, n.
wood engraving- Essentially the reverse of a woodcut.
See also related terms for reverse.
A technique like woodcut but using hardwood sawn across the grain and with a finer design, cut more shallowly using burins and similar engraving tools. Thomas Bewick excelled in this technique.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wood engraving - a print made from a woodcut|
engraving - a print made from an engraving
|2.||wood engraving - engraving consisting of a block of wood with a design cut into it; used to make prints|
engraving - a block or plate or other hard surface that has been engraved