Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to wordage: incapacitated
1. Words considered as a group, or the manner in which words are used: "He stammered indistinctly, searching for the correct wordage" (Tom Robbins).
2. The number of words used, as in a novel: Is the author's payment based on total wordage?
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Linguistics) words considered collectively, esp a quantity of words
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. words collectively.
2. quantity or amount of words.
3. verbiage; wordiness.
4. choice of words; wording.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
1. Words or the use of words in excess of those needed for clarity or precision:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.