Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. Performing work: a working committee.
b. Operating or functioning as required: a working flashlight.
2. Having a paying job; employed: working mothers.
a. Spent at work: a working life of 40 years.
b. Taken while continuing to work: a working vacation.
a. Sufficient to allow action: a working majority.
b. Adequate for practical use: a working knowledge of Spanish.
5. Serving as a basis or guide for further work: a working hypothesis.
n. often workings
1. The manner in which something operates or functions: the workings of the mind.
2. The parts of a mine or quarry that have been or are being excavated.
1. functioning: the workings of government.
2. (Mining & Quarrying) a part of a mine or quarry that is being or has been worked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||workings - the internal mechanism of a device|
mechanism - device consisting of a piece of machinery; has moving parts that perform some function
|2.||workings - a mine or quarry that is being or has been worked|
excavation - a hole in the ground made by excavating