Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
worm gear assembly
1. A gear consisting of a spirally threaded shaft and a wheel with marginal teeth that mesh into it.
2. The toothed wheel of this gear; a worm wheel.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a device consisting of a threaded shaft (worm) that mates with a gearwheel (worm wheel) so that rotary motion can be transferred between two shafts at right angles to each other
2. (Mechanical Engineering) Also called: worm wheel a gearwheel driven by a threaded shaft or worm
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
art at worshipful
1. a mechanism consisting of a worm engaging with and driving a worm wheel.
2. a gear wheel driven by a worm.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||worm gear - gear consisting of a shaft with screw thread (the worm) that meshes with a toothed wheel (the worm wheel); changes the direction of the axis of rotary motion|
cogwheel, gear, gear wheel, geared wheel - a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion
worm - screw thread on a gear with the teeth of a worm wheel or rack
worm wheel - gear with the thread of a worm
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.