Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Firm-textured, compactly twisted woolen yarn made from long-staple fibers.
b. Fabric made from such yarn.
2. Natural or synthetic yarn of a medium weight.
[Middle English, variant of worthstede, after Worthstede (Worstead), a village of eastern England.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Textiles) a closely twisted yarn or thread made from combed long-staple wool
2. (Textiles) a fabric made from this, with a hard smooth close-textured surface and no nap
3. (Textiles) (modifier) made of this yarn or fabric: a worsted suit.
[C13: named after Worstead, a district in Norfolk]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
wor•sted(ˈwʊs tɪd, ˈwɜr stɪd)
1. firmly twisted yarn or thread spun from combed, stapled wool fibers of the same length, for weaving, knitting, etc. Compare woolen.
2. wool cloth woven from such yarns, having a hard, smooth surface and no nap.adj.
3. consisting or made of worsted.
[1250–1300; Middle English, after Worstede Worstead (Old English Wurthestede), parish in Norfolk, England, where the cloth was made]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||worsted - a woolen fabric with a hard textured surface and no nap; woven of worsted yarns "he wore a worsted suit"|
|2.||worsted - a tightly twisted woolen yarn spun from long-staple wool|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
worsted[ˈwʊstɪd] N (= cloth) → estambre m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (= yarn) → Kammgarn nt; (= cloth also) → Kammgarnstoff m
adj → Kammgarn-; worsted suit → Kammgarnanzug m; worsted wool → Kammgarn nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995