Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that wrecks or destroys: a wrecker of dreams.
a. One who is in the business of demolishing old buildings.
b. One who dismantles cars for salvage.
3. A tow truck used to move disabled or wrecked vehicles.
4. One who lures a vessel to destruction, as by a display of lights on a rocky coastline, in order to plunder it.
1. a person or thing that ruins or destroys
2. (Building) chiefly US and Canadian a person whose job is to demolish buildings or dismantle cars
3. (Automotive Engineering) chiefly US and Canadian a person whose job is to demolish buildings or dismantle cars
4. (Nautical Terms) (formerly) a person who lures ships to destruction to plunder the wreckage
5. (Automotive Engineering) US and Canadian another word for tow truck
1. a person or thing that wrecks.
2. a person, car, or train employed in removing wreckage, debris, etc., as from railroad tracks.
3. Also called tow car , tow truck. a vehicle equipped with a mechanical apparatus for hoisting and pulling, used to tow wrecked, disabled, or stalled automobiles.
4. a person or business that demolishes and removes houses or other buildings, as in clearing sites for other use.
5. a person or vessel employed in recovering salvage from wrecked or disabled vessels.
6. a person who plunders wrecks, esp. after exhibiting false signals in order to cause shipwrecks.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||wrecker - someone who demolishes or dismantles buildings as a job|
housewrecker, housebreaker - a wrecker of houses; "in England a housewrecker is called a housebreaker"
knacker - someone who buys old buildings or ships and breaks them up to recover the materials in them
|2.||wrecker - someone who commits sabotage or deliberately causes wrecks|
ruiner, uprooter, waster, destroyer, undoer - a person who destroys or ruins or lays waste to; "a destroyer of the environment"; "jealousy was his undoer"; "uprooters of gravestones"
sleeper - a spy or saboteur or terrorist planted in an enemy country who lives there as a law-abiding citizen until activated by a prearranged signal
|3.||wrecker - a truck equipped to hoist and pull wrecked cars (or to remove cars from no-parking zones)|
vozilo za pomoć na cesti
xe van cứu hộ
wrecker[ˈrɛkər] n (US) (= breakdown van) → dépanneuse f
(= ship wrecker) → Strandräuber m (der Schiffe durch falsche Lichtsignale zum Stranden bringt)
(Naut, = salvager) → Bergungsarbeiter(in) m(f); (= vessel) → Bergungsschiff nt
(US) (= breaker, salvager) → Schrotthändler(in) m(f); (for buildings) → Abbrucharbeiter(in) m(f)
(US: = breakdown van) → Abschleppwagen m