Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to yapping: reinstate
v. yapped, yap·ping, yaps
1. To bark sharply or shrilly; yelp.
2. Slang To talk noisily or stupidly; jabber.
To utter by yapping.
1. A sharp, shrill bark; a yelp.
2. Slang Noisy, stupid talk; jabber.
3. Slang The mouth: Shut your yap.
4. Slang A stupid, crude, or loud person.
An island group and state of the Federated States of Micronesia in the western Caroline Islands of the western Pacific Ocean. Part of a Japanese mandate after 1920, it fell to US forces in 1945. Yap is noted for the large stone disks traditionally used as money by the native population.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. yelping; barking
2. informal censorious talking in an annoying manner
3. yelping; barking
4. informal censorious persistent, annoying talk
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995