yawl(redirected from yawls)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A two-masted fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel similar to the ketch but having a smaller jigger- or mizzenmast stepped abaft the rudder. Also called dandy.
2. A ship's small boat, crewed by rowers.
[Dutch jol, possibly from Low German jolle.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) a two-masted sailing vessel, rigged fore-and-aft, with a large mainmast and a small mizzenmast stepped aft of the rudderpost. Compare ketch, sloop
2. (Nautical Terms) a ship's small boat, usually rowed by four or six oars
[C17: from Dutch jol or Middle Low German jolle, of unknown origin]
(intr) dialect Brit to howl, weep, or scream harshly; yowl
[C14: from Low German jaulen; see yowl]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a ship's small boat, rowed by a crew of four or six.
2. a two-masted, fore-and-aft-rigged sailing vessel having a large mainmast and a smaller jiggermast or mizzenmast stepped abaft the sternpost. Compare ketch.
[1660–70; < Dutch jol]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: yawled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yawl - a ship's small boat (usually rowed by 4 or 6 oars)|
small boat - a boat that is small
|2.||yawl - a sailing vessel with two masts; a small mizzen is aft of the rudderpost|
|Verb||1.||yawl - emit long loud cries; "wail in self-pity"; "howl with sorrow"|
cry, scream, shout out, yell, squall, shout, holler, hollo, call - utter a sudden loud cry; "she cried with pain when the doctor inserted the needle"; "I yelled to her from the window but she couldn't hear me"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007