yearling(redirected from yearling disease)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. An animal that is one year old or has not completed its second year.
2. A racehorse that is one year old, dating from January 1 of the year in which it was foaled in the Northern Hemisphere, and from July 1 or August 1 in the Southern Hemisphere.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) the young of any of various animals, including the antelope and buffalo, between one and two years of age
2. (Horse Racing) a thoroughbred racehorse counted for racing purposes as being one year old until the second Jan 1 following its birth
3. (Banking & Finance)
a. a bond that is intended to mature after one year
b. (as modifier): yearling bonds.
being a year old
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an animal in its second year.
2. a horse one year old, dating from January 1 of the year after the year of foaling.adj.
3. being a year old.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yearling - a young child|
|2.||yearling - a racehorse considered one year old until the second Jan. 1 following its birth|
|3.||yearling - an animal in its second year|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
yearling[ˈjɪəlɪŋ] n (racehorse) → yearling m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995