yeast(redirected from yeastless)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. Any of various unicellular fungi of the genus Saccharomyces, especially S. cerevisiae, reproducing asexually by budding or sexually through the production of ascospores and capable of fermenting carbohydrates.
b. Any of numerous fungi that exhibit a one-celled growth form and reproduce by budding, including certain candidas that can cause infections in humans.
2. Froth consisting of yeast cells together with the carbon dioxide they produce in the process of fermentation, present in or added to fruit juices and other substances in the production of alcoholic beverages.
3. A powdered or compressed commercial preparation of yeast cells, used chiefly as a leavening agent or as a dietary supplement.
4. An agent of ferment or activity: political agitators who are the yeast of revolution.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of various single-celled ascomycetous fungi of the genus Saccharomyces and related genera, which reproduce by budding and are able to ferment sugars: a rich source of vitamins of the B complex
2. (Biology) any yeastlike fungus, esp of the genus Candida, which can cause thrush in areas infected with it
3. (Cookery) a commercial preparation containing yeast cells and inert material such as meal, used in raising dough for bread or for fermenting beer, whisky, etc. See also brewer's yeast
4. (Pharmacology) a preparation containing yeast cells, used to treat diseases caused by vitamin B deficiency
5. (Brewing) froth or foam, esp on beer
(intr) to froth or foam
[Old English giest; related to Old Norse jostr, Old High German jesan, Swedish esa, Norwegian asa, Sanskrit yasati]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of various small, single-celled fungi of the phylum Ascomycota that reproduce by fission or budding, the daughter cells often remaining attached, and that are capable of fermenting carbohydrates into alcohol and carbon dioxide.
2. any of several yeasts of the genus Saccharomyces, used in brewing alcoholic beverages, as a leaven in baking breads, and in pharmacology as a source of vitamins and proteins.
3. something that causes ferment or agitation.v.i.
4. to ferment.
5. to froth.
[before 1000; Middle English ye(e)st, Old English gist, gyst, c. Middle Dutch ghist, Middle High German gist, Old Norse jǫstr; akin to Greek zestós boiled, Skt yásati (it) boils]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Any of various one-celled fungi that can cause the fermentation of carbohydrates, producing carbon dioxide and alcohol.
2. A commercial preparation in either compressed or powdered form that contains yeast cells. It is used to make bread dough rise.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Past participle: yeasted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Fungus cells used in raising dough for bread and for fermenting alcohol.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yeast - a commercial leavening agent containing yeast cells; used to raise the dough in making bread and for fermenting beer or whiskey|
yeast cake - small cake of compressed moist yeast
brewer's yeast - yeast used in fermenting beer
mother - a stringy slimy substance consisting of yeast cells and bacteria; forms during fermentation and is added to cider or wine to produce vinegar
|2.||yeast - any of various single-celled fungi that reproduce asexually by budding or division|
fungus - an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter; ranging from unicellular or multicellular organisms to spore-bearing syncytia
Endomycetales, order Endomycetales - fungi having a zygote or a single cell developing directly into an ascus
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n no pl → Hefe f
(= cake) → Hefekuchen m
(= cube) → Hefewürfel m
n → Hefeextrakt m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a substance which causes fermentation, used in making beer, bread etc. suurdeeg خَميرَه мая levedura kvasnice die Hefe gær μαγιά, προζύμι levadura pärm مخمر hiiva levureשמרים खमीर kvasac élesztő ragi ger lievito 酵母 이스트, 누룩 mielės raugs ragi gistgjærdrożdże خميره، تومنه، موره، خميره كوونكى بوټى، يوه ژړبخونه ماده چې دخميره كولو دپاره په كاريږي، ځګ، خميره، سريوكى، پړسېدنه، پارېدنه levedura drojdie дрожжи kvasnice, droždie kvas kvasac jäst ยีสต์; ส่าเหล้า; เชื้อเหล้า; เชื้อหมัก maya 酵母 дріжджі; закваска خمیر men 酵母
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
yeast→ خَمِيرَة droždí gær Hefe μαγιά levadura hiiva levure kvasac lievito 酵母菌 이스트 gist gjær drożdże fermento, levedura дрожжи jäst เชื้อราที่ใช้สำหรับหมักเหล้าและทำให้ขนมปังฟู maya men bia 酵母
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. levadura, hongo diminuto capaz de provocar fermentación que se usa en la nutrición como fuente de vitaminas y proteínas.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
yeastn levadura; brewer's — levadura de cerveza; — infection candidiasis f (form), infección por levaduras or hongos
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.