Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. Any of several large marine fishes of the genus Seriola having a yellowish tail, especially S. lalandi of subtropical waters worldwide, which is a popular game fish in coastal waters of southern California and Mexico.
2. Any of several other fishes having a yellowish tail, such as the yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea), the yellowtail snapper (Ocyurus chrysurus), and the North American silver perch.
n, pl -tails or -tail
1. (Animals) a carangid game fish, Seriola dorsalis, of coastal waters of S California and Mexico, having a yellow tail fin
2. (Animals) any of various similar fishes
3. (Animals) Also called: yellowtail moth another name for goldtail moth
4. (Animals) Austral another name for yellowtail kingfish
n., pl. -tails, (esp. collectively) -tail.
1. a game fish, Seriola lalandei, of California.
2. Also called yel′lowtail snap′per. a small West Indian snapper, Ocyurus chrysurus.
3. any of several other fishes with a yellow tail fin.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||yellowtail - superior food fish of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean with broad yellow stripe along the sides and on the tail|
snapper - any of several large sharp-toothed marine food and sport fishes of the family Lutjanidae of mainly tropical coastal waters
|2.||yellowtail - game fish of southern California and Mexico having a yellow tail fin|
jack - any of several fast-swimming predacious fishes of tropical to warm temperate seas